We’ve been chugging along here in the workshop getting ready for the holiday season. So many holiday stamps! To keep everyone going and engaged we like to listen to podcasts. For anyone who never has had the pleasure of listening to a podcast, it’s a lot like an old school radio program, but instead of turning a dial and adjusting an antenna we download them from iTunes.
We listen to a huge range of podcast on a range of topics, some are funny, some are informative, and some are mysterious and get us totally hooked.
These are our top five favorite podcasts right now:
1. Serial: If you are into murder mysteries and cold cases you will love this! We are totally hooked! Each week, host Sarah Koenig goes deeper into the 15 year old murder case of Hae Min Lee, a high school student in Maryland, and Adnan Syed, her ex-boyfriend who was convicted for the murder and sentenced to life in prison. But as Koenig discovers not everything is adding up quite right.
2. This American Life: Who doesn’t like listening to stories? Yeah, pretty much no one, that’s what we thought too. Each week there is a theme to the show and host Ira Glass introduces each segment or story pertaining to that theme. Some stories are funny, or dramatic, or sad, and some are so incredible you wonder if they are true, but I’m sure those guys are doing all their fact checking. If you are looking for something with a lot of episodes, TAL has been broadcasting since 1995 so there are a lot to choose from.
3. Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me: “The NPR New Quiz!” as their opener states, is exactly what this podcast is. But it’s so much more, its funny, its silly, it can be even be informative if you missed some major news events during the week.
4. Stuff You Should Know: Want to learn about things you didn’t even know you were curious about? SYSK goes into every possible subject you could come up with, everything from how x-rays work to how trees affect the weather. Its a little science-y, a little culture, but plenty of fun facts. Impress your friends with all kinds of tid bits you learn!
5. 99% Invisible: There is a theory that design should be 99% invisible, this applies to buildings, products, packaging, graphics, and if you think about everything around you was designed by someone. Host Roman Mars (best name every right?!?) finds the hidden stories in the world around us. One of our favorite episodes is about the sounds different escalators make, that might sounds weird, but give it a listen, you’ll be surprised.
With winter keeping you inside for more indoor type activities consider checking out a podcast instead of listening to music or having the tv on. They are also great for road trips or whatever other travel you may be doing, just make sure to get the episodes downloaded while you have internet!